I thought this sounded interesting and it's another way to use some garden oregano. Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living (December 2005)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup currants, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 head escarole, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or subsitute 6 ounces spinach chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 dried red chili pepper, crumbled
- 1In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk for a few minutes and then squeeze excess moisture out of milk and tear bread into small pieces.
- 2In a large bowl combine bread with next 6 ingredients (meats - oregano), stir with spoon until combined and then add salt and pepper.
- 3Roll mixture into small bowls (about 1 inch).
- 4Over medium heat, heat oil in a large skillet and cook meatballs in oil until browned and cooked through (10-15 minutes).
- 5In a soup pot or saucepan over medium heaqt, bring broth to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and add meatballs, escarole (or spinach), beans and chile to pot, cooking until heated (5-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 544.8
- Calories from Fat 243
- Total Fat 27.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 94.0 mg
- Sodium 1279.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 39.1 g