Recipe by ellie_
I thought this sounded interesting and it's another way to use some garden oregano. Recipe source: Martha Stewart Living (December 2005)
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup currants, dried
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 head escarole, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (or subsitute 6 ounces spinach chopped)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 dried red chili pepper, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, soak the bread in the milk for a few minutes and then squeeze excess moisture out of milk and tear bread into small pieces.
- In a large bowl combine bread with next 6 ingredients (meats - oregano), stir with spoon until combined and then add salt and pepper.
- Roll mixture into small bowls (about 1 inch).
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a large skillet and cook meatballs in oil until browned and cooked through (10-15 minutes).
- In a soup pot or saucepan over medium heaqt, bring broth to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and add meatballs, escarole (or spinach), beans and chile to pot, cooking until heated (5-10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper to taste.