From marketofchoice.com. Perfect for summertime entertaining. We tested this recipe using two thirds of a pound of free range beef and one third pound ground lamb. I prepared the BBQ sauce two days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and coarsely ground
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 12 ounces ground chicken (can substitute ground beef, lamb, turkey, pork, etc.)
Chipotle-Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (I used a combination of tart and sweet dried cherries)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, minced (I cheated and added 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco 'Chipotle' Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I used a rich, dark chocolate powder)
- flat bread (such as naan or Greek pita)
- butter lettuce leaf
- red onion (sliced in rings or diced)
- tomatoes, sliced or cherry tomatoes, halved
- smoked gouda cheese, grated (we used a combination of Tillamook's Extra Sharp Vintage White Cheddar and Rogue Creamery's 'Smoky B)
- fresh cilantro, minced (my addition)
- 1Meatballs: In a bowl, beat egg, salt, pepper, allspice, cumin seeds and parsley.
- 2Add chicken and mix until combined (do not overwork).
- 3Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4With wet hands, form 20 meatballs, then flatten slightly into thick patties. Grill or fry in a pan until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Keep warm.
- 5Cherry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce: Soak dried cherries in hot water for 10 min, then drain well. After draining the cherries, I chopped them up into smaller pieces using a wet knife.
- 6Mix all ingredients together in medium-sized saucepan (use more or less chilies to taste).
- 7Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to LOW, cooking for 10 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the sauce dry out.
- 8Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- 9To Assemble the Sandwiches: Heat flat bread on the grill.
- 10Place some BBQ sauce in the center, then lettuce, onion and tomatoes.
- 11Add grated cheese of your choice, fresh cilantro and top with 2-3 meatballs.
- 12Drizzle with more BBQ sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Sandwiches With Chipotle-Cherry BBQ Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 331.4
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 106.0 mg
- Sodium 1645.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 39.4 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo