Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From marketofchoice.com. Perfect for summertime entertaining. We tested this recipe using two thirds of a pound of free range beef and one third pound ground lamb. I prepared the BBQ sauce two days in advance.
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed, toasted and coarsely ground
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 12 ounces ground chicken (can substitute ground beef, lamb, turkey, pork, etc.)
Chipotle-Cherry BBQ Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dried cherries (I used a combination of tart and sweet dried cherries)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup cherry preserves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, minced (I cheated and added 1/2 tablespoon Tabasco 'Chipotle' Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (I used a rich, dark chocolate powder)
- flat bread (such as naan or Greek pita)
- butter lettuce leaf
- red onion (sliced in rings or diced)
- tomatoes, sliced or cherry tomatoes, halved
- smoked gouda cheese, grated (we used a combination of Tillamook's Extra Sharp Vintage White Cheddar and Rogue Creamery's 'Smoky B)
- fresh cilantro, minced (my addition)
- Meatballs: In a bowl, beat egg, salt, pepper, allspice, cumin seeds and parsley.
- Add chicken and mix until combined (do not overwork).
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- With wet hands, form 20 meatballs, then flatten slightly into thick patties. Grill or fry in a pan until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Keep warm.
- Cherry-Chipotle BBQ Sauce: Soak dried cherries in hot water for 10 min, then drain well. After draining the cherries, I chopped them up into smaller pieces using a wet knife.
- Mix all ingredients together in medium-sized saucepan (use more or less chilies to taste).
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to LOW, cooking for 10 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the sauce dry out.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- To Assemble the Sandwiches: Heat flat bread on the grill.
- Place some BBQ sauce in the center, then lettuce, onion and tomatoes.
- Add grated cheese of your choice, fresh cilantro and top with 2-3 meatballs.
- Drizzle with more BBQ sauce.