Recipe by LovinGFKids
This recipe came from the TACA website and is gluten-free. It is also low in sodium. Very easy to make meatballs in advance and freeze them. Sometimes I only use half the meatballs from this recipe, and freeze the other half for another soup recipe. Great way to use the left over rice from Chinese take-out!
Top Review by twissis
Made almost entirely as written for the My 3 Chefs event except for the addition of leek at the end. I used meatballs from my freezer & leftover rice, so this was a very fast fix for our lunch today. This is a good meal-in-a-bowl that is ingredient & family-friendly. It is basic, invites pers pref chgs & can be easily expanded to include leek for a mellow onion flavor as I did, garlic or even other family-favorite veggies. With meatballs & their favorite veggies, kids will think it is a treat for them vs something healthy. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 1 lb ground turkey (or Ground Pork)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (or 2 tbl Fresh Basil)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 carrots
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 16 ounces vegetable broth or 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
- sunflower oil or safflower oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix meat with spices. Roll into small balls the size of your thumb.
- Add oil to skillet and saute' meatballs.
- Chop carrots 1/2 inch thick. Leave juice in pan, add 1/4 cup of water. Add carrots to pan, cover and cook until carrots are tender.
- Heat broth in stock pot. Add rice, meatballs, carrots and juice from pan. Stir and eat!