Recipe by Kohtzy
The combination of rice and ground beef gives these meatballs the appearance of little porcupines. We love these served over pasta. Enjoy!
Top Review by mama smurf
These were very tasty. I did add a touch of brown sugar to the sauce but otherwise followed the instructions. They were a little wet to roll but I let them sit for a little while before browning and it went well. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix beef, rice, milk, onion, salt, celery salt, garlic salt and pepper. Form into 4 medium balls.
- Fry in melted shortening, turning frequently, until light brown (but not crusty) on all sides.
- Add tomato sauce, water and worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Cover; simmer 45 minutes over low heat. Add a small amount of additional water if liquid cooks down too much.