Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
The combination of rice and ground beef gives these meatballs the appearance of little porcupines. We love these served over pasta. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1⁄4 cup milk or 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix beef, rice, milk, onion, salt, celery salt, garlic salt and pepper. Form into 4 medium balls.
- Fry in melted shortening, turning frequently, until light brown (but not crusty) on all sides.
- Add tomato sauce, water and worcestershire sauce. Mix well.
- Cover; simmer 45 minutes over low heat. Add a small amount of additional water if liquid cooks down too much.
These were very tasty. I did add a touch of brown sugar to the sauce but otherwise followed the instructions. They were a little wet to roll but I let them sit for a little while before browning and it went well. Thank you for posting. Made for Spring PAC 2013.