Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
Use homemade meatballs or buy prepared meatballs
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed, torn into tiny pieces
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup minced yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) portion new york-style pizza dough, at room temperature (New York-Style Pizza Dough)
- unbleached bread flour (for dusting)
- 3⁄4 cup new york-style pizza sauce (New York-Style Pizza Sauce)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups coarsely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup diced white onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 10 cooked italian-style meatballs
- fresh ground pepper
- To make the meatballs: Preheat oven to 450°; set aside a large rimmed baking sheet (nonstick is preferred).
- In a small bowl, toss the bread with the milk; let soak 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a big bowl, using your hands or a heavy wooden spoon, mix together the beef, sausage, egg, garlic, onion, parsley, cheese, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Add in the soaked bread; mix until well combined.
- Using a spoon or small quick-release ice cream scoop; form the ground meat mixture into 2-inch meatballs.
- Arrange the balls 1-inch apart on baking sheet.
- Bake about 20 minutes, until nicely browned and cooked through (makes 36 meatballs; freeze what you don’t use for this recipe).
- To make the pizza: position oven rack on the second lowest level in the oven and place a baking stone on the rack.
- Position another rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 500°.
- Coat a 12-inch pizza pan or screen with cooking spray; lightly dust dough with flour.
- Place dough on prepared pan/screen; gently stretch into a 12-inch round.
- Top the pizza: spread the pizza sauce evenly over the dough, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Sprinkle the garlic over the sauce; sprinkle mozzarella over the top.
- Distribute onion and bell pepper over the cheese.
- Cut the meatballs in half and place them, cut side down, evenly over the cheese.
- Gently press them into the cheese; grind fresh pepper over the top.
- Place pizza in the oven on the upper rack; bake about 10 minutes, until the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Using a pizza peel, lift the pizza off the pan/screen and place the crust directly on the baking stone.
- Remove the pan/screen from the oven; continue baking pizza 2-3 minutes, until the bottom of the crust is golden brown.
- Using the peel, remove pizza from oven to a cutting board; slice into wedges and serve immediately.