A pita sandwich I have enjoyed. Original from a 1979 Better Homes magazine. Sometimes I add crushed garlic or a little garlic powder to the marinating vegetable mixture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1In a small bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and marinate in refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
- 2In a small bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, milk, the 2 tbsp onion, allspice and pepper to taste. Add beef and pork and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
- 3Place meatballs in a baking dish in a single layer. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes or till done. Drain well on paper toweling.
- 4To assemble sandwiches, place 3 meatballs into each pita bread half. Top with some of the cucumber and tomato mixture and a little of the marinating liquid.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Pita Pockets
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.7
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 71.1 mg
- Sodium 314.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar