Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A pita sandwich I have enjoyed. Original from a 1979 Better Homes magazine. Sometimes I add crushed garlic or a little garlic powder to the marinating vegetable mixture.
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 12 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 4 pita bread rounds, halved
- In a small bowl, combine cucumber, tomato, onion, olive oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and marinate in refrigerator a few hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl combine egg, bread crumbs, milk, the 2 tbsp onion, allspice and pepper to taste. Add beef and pork and mix well. Shape into 24 meatballs.
- Place meatballs in a baking dish in a single layer. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes or till done. Drain well on paper toweling.
- To assemble sandwiches, place 3 meatballs into each pita bread half. Top with some of the cucumber and tomato mixture and a little of the marinating liquid.