Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in a little paperback cookbook from long ago days, called 365 Ways to Cook Hamburger. I like it because it's a quick and easy way to make spaghetti and meatballs in one pot. I tend to use more spaghetti than called for, and I use California Bay leaves rather than the bottled ones you get at the store. I've also substituted dehydrated onion flakes in place of fresh chopped onions.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces spaghetti (approximately)
- Mix hamburger, egg, chopped onion, bread crumbs, salt, thyme& pepper.
- Form into meatballs and brown in dutch oven.
- Add water, condensed cream of mushroom soup, tomato sauce, chopped onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add spaghetti, broken into 1/2 inch lengths.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while to keep spaghetti from sticking to pan.
Yummy! Changed it just a bit... used some homemade salsa that was on hand in place of the tomato sauce. This recipe is quick easy and very tasty!! Thanks for posting!
It was just O.K. After looking at the ingredients, I questioned how good it could be but I tried it b/c of all the rave reviews. It was your typical "can of cream of mushroom soup recipe" editable but nothing to write home about. Sadly, I made this to bring to a sick friend. I usually bring only my tried & true but unfortunately I broke my normal protocol. I guess it's the thought that counts. I made it exactly as printed but used whole wheat pasta and added chopped spinach to the meatballs, but it was the sauce that I didn't care for. Sorry.
We really loved this. I used 1 c. chicken stock for one of the cups of water. This went so well with fried sweet potatoes. The pasta gets so creamy and the meatballs are very flavorful. A certified hit around our dinner table.