Recipe by Sandaidh
I found this in a little paperback cookbook from long ago days, called 365 Ways to Cook Hamburger. I like it because it's a quick and easy way to make spaghetti and meatballs in one pot. I tend to use more spaghetti than called for, and I use California Bay leaves rather than the bottled ones you get at the store. I've also substituted dehydrated onion flakes in place of fresh chopped onions.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces spaghetti (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix hamburger, egg, chopped onion, bread crumbs, salt, thyme& pepper.
- Form into meatballs and brown in dutch oven.
- Add water, condensed cream of mushroom soup, tomato sauce, chopped onion, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add spaghetti, broken into 1/2 inch lengths.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every once in a while to keep spaghetti from sticking to pan.