Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
WOW!!! What a satisfying soup. It is so thick it is almost a stew. Just add crusty bread for a great meal on a cold winter night.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant minced garlic, see note
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1⁄4 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1⁄4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 deg.
- Shape ground beef into 1" balls.
- and bake until just done.
- In a dutch oven combine soup, milk, water and onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add Italian seasoning, garlic, barley, macaroni and rice.
- Reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 15 minute Stir in carrot, cover and simmer for 5- 10 minute Add meatballs and mushrooms to soup.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Cook a few minutes more until macaroni and rice are done.
- Serve with crusty bread!
- Note: I used diced garlic from a jar.
- Either way is OK.
Very tasty and filling and easy soup! I left out the barley, and just used pasta and rice. I added garlic powder instead of fresh garlic, subbed cooked frozen meatballs, and used chicken broth instead of water. The only disappointing thing was that the rice took long to cook. In the future I may make a couple changes to speed this up: stir in seasoned, cooked ground beef instead of meatballs and use only the elbows. Perfect cool-weather meal!
This soup was a pleasant surprise. It's very hardy and very yummy. I expected it to need some dressing up with seasoning but in the end, it didn't need a thing. I followed the instructions exactly except that I used fresh portabella mushrooms as I didn't have canned. No problem at all. We loved it! Made for PAC Spring 2009 and what a winner! (-:
This was very good. I like the chicken broth idea might try that next time. I browned the meatballs first in my dutch oven, hubby doesn't like meatballs from the oven. I used small sea shells instead of the macaroni. Very thick. Thanks