Recipe by Lainey39
This is a delicious soup that I often serve as a main dish with some French or Italian bread. I do like to add some sugar to taste because we like a sweeten up the sauce a little. I have to admit I sometimes cheat and use frozen meatballs and it comes out just fine. I also double the recipe because it is so good. Recipe is from Taste of Home's "The Best of Country Cooking" cookbook, second edition.
Top Review by Modmom50
This is a very good recipe plus very easy to make and in 30 minutes soups on. I made it almost as directed with exception of not having a 15 oz can of tomato sauce so put small one in and also a can of diced tomatoes. I also added a bit of garlic (have to as LOVE garlic LOL). And was out of thyme so used some italian herbs. It was pronouced a keeper by all and the recipe sent home with both daughters. Thanks so much for posting this tasty soup.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups water or 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- sugar, to taste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In mixing bowl, combine beef, egg, onion, crumbs, salt and pepper. Shape into 30 1-inch balls.
- In large saucepan, brown meatballs on all sides. Drain excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients except macaroni and parsley; cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in parsley.