Recipe by ozzygirl
My friend gave me this recipe after serving it at a dinner party at her house and it was divine.
- 59.14 ml vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped finely
- 236.59 ml water
- 14.79 ml grated ginger
- 14.79 ml garam masala
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml turmeric powder
- 420 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 kg meatballs
- 59.14 ml coriander leaves, chopped
- 354.88 ml basmati rice, rinsed
- 800 g chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 whole cardamom pods
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy based frying pan and add onion. Fry until golden then add garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute then add spices and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomato and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and season with salt to taste. Add meatballs. Cook without stirring for 5 minutes covered, then cook uncovered for 10 minutes until meatballs are cooked through. Add extra water if you feel the sauce is too thick.
- To make tomato basmati, place rice into a saucepan. Add tomato, bay leaves and cardamom and season with salt. Just cover rice with water and bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Garnish meatballs with coriander and serve with rice.