I love chestnuts but I rarely buy them fresh and why should I when the vacuum packed ready peeled ones are so good? Braised with meatballs, onions and red wine, this hearty dish is perfect served with mash potato but I also serve it with white rice if the mood takes me as it often does (it's something about the sweet red wine flavour chestnuts and the rice that I love) This is a real winter warmer y'all and perfect after having been out in the cold. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g raw meatballs (pork and beef mixture, or any)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped into half rings
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 chestnut mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 200 g cooked peeled chestnuts
- 7 sage leaves, soaked in boiling water for 1 minute, drained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 150 ml red wine
- 200 ml pork stock (a mixture of chicken and beef works well)
- 1Heat half of the oil in a frying pan over a high heat and when almost smoking, throw in the onions and cook fast until they are partially blackened. Set aside.
- 2Next heat the rest of the oil in a large casserole dish over a high heat and brown off the meatballs, (they don't need to be completely cooked as they will cook more later).
- 3Lower the heat and add the blackened onions, garlic and mushrooms if using. cook for 2 minutes being careful that the garlic doesn't burn.
- 4Add the sage, bay leaves, red wine and stock with a touch of salt and plenty of black pepper.
- 5Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 6Add the chestnuts and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 7Taste and adjust seasoning and serve.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball, Chestnut and Red Wine Braise
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.4
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: