Recipe by Courtly
"Using convenient frozen meatballs and prepared pie pastry, this heart sandwich is a great time-saver. To add crunch and color, drop in roasted red or green pepper strips." From TOH.
Top Review by seesko
This was okay. It was a quick and easy lunch. We enjoyed it. However, being that you use pie crust, it is not the typical calzone. Don't think I will do it that way again , just because of the crust factor. However, a good one time meal. Never would have thought of using meatballs.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen fully cooked meatballs, thawed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 (15 ounce) packagerefrigerated pie pastry
- additional pizza sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat meatballs according to pkg. directions. In a large saucepan, heat pizza sauce; stir in meatballs. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses and basil. In another bowl, whisk the egg white and water; set aside.
- Unroll one pastry onto a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan. Spoon half of meatball mixture onto half of the pastry to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Top with half of cheese mixture. Fold dough over the filling, forming a half circle. Moisten edges with water; press with a fork to seal. Brush top with egg mixture. Repeat with remaining pastry, meatball mixture and egg mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each calzone into three wedges. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired.