These little biscuits have meatballs and cheese inside. Dip them in marinara sauce for a yummy snack. They would even be great as a side with soup. The layer type biscuits work best for this appetizer. I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook. *****UPDATE*****Since posting, I have begun using my own homemade meatballs for this recipe (usually prepared the day before and refrigerated until needed). I had purchased a bag of ready-made meatballs that weren't the best quality and was really unhappy with the results for the appetizer. Just thought I would pass on the info...
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits (or other LAYER biscuits)
- 8 frozen cooked italian meatballs, thawed, each cut in half
- 3 ounces mozzarella string cheese, each cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits.
- Separate each biscuit into 2 layers.
- Press each biscuit layer to form a 3-inch round.
- Place 1 meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in center of each dough round.
- Wrap dough around meatball and cheese, pressing edges to seal.
- Place seam side down in single layer in ungreased 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy in center.
- Remove from pan.
- Serve warm biscuits with warm marinara sauce for dipping.