Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These little biscuits have meatballs and cheese inside. Dip them in marinara sauce for a yummy snack. They would even be great as a side with soup. The layer type biscuits work best for this appetizer. I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook. *****UPDATE*****Since posting, I have begun using my own homemade meatballs for this recipe (usually prepared the day before and refrigerated until needed). I had purchased a bag of ready-made meatballs that weren't the best quality and was really unhappy with the results for the appetizer. Just thought I would pass on the info...
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits (or other LAYER biscuits)
- 8 frozen cooked italian meatballs, thawed, each cut in half
- 3 ounces mozzarella string cheese, each cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits.
- Separate each biscuit into 2 layers.
- Press each biscuit layer to form a 3-inch round.
- Place 1 meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in center of each dough round.
- Wrap dough around meatball and cheese, pressing edges to seal.
- Place seam side down in single layer in ungreased 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy in center.
- Remove from pan.
- Serve warm biscuits with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Obsessed!! What a wonderful idea! I substituted meatballs with lobster balls. Sprinkled biscuits with grated three cheese, dried parsley and dried oregano before baking. These came out so freaking delicious. Enjoyed when they were warm. Will definitely make them again! Thank you for the recipe!
I used my own meatballs (not a fan of the store-bought ones) and followed the rest of the recipe as is. These were a hit. I think the next time I make them I will use shredded mozzarella instead of cheese sticks - hoping the cheese will melt better and won't be all in one bite.
This was a cute idea. The kids ate them all at lunch time, though they prefered to dip them in pizza sauce instead of marina sauce. A couple of them said it would be better if I used my pizza dough instead of the flaky biscuits so I will try that next time. But this was easy and good.