These little biscuits have meatballs and cheese inside. Dip them in marinara sauce for a yummy snack. They would even be great as a side with soup. The layer type biscuits work best for this appetizer. I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook. *****UPDATE*****Since posting, I have begun using my own homemade meatballs for this recipe (usually prepared the day before and refrigerated until needed). I had purchased a bag of ready-made meatballs that weren't the best quality and was really unhappy with the results for the appetizer. Just thought I would pass on the info...
- 1 (16 1/3 ounce) can ready-to-bake refrigerated buttermilk flaky biscuits (or other LAYER biscuits)
- 8 frozen cooked italian meatballs, thawed, each cut in half
- 3 ounces mozzarella string cheese, each cut into 6 pieces
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Separate dough into 8 biscuits.
- Separate each biscuit into 2 layers.
- Press each biscuit layer to form a 3-inch round.
- Place 1 meatball half, cut side up, and 1 string cheese piece in center of each dough round.
- Wrap dough around meatball and cheese, pressing edges to seal.
- Place seam side down in single layer in ungreased 8 or 9-inch round cake pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Bake at 375°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and biscuits are no longer doughy in center.
- Remove from pan.
- Serve warm biscuits with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Obsessed!! What a wonderful idea! I substituted meatballs with lobster balls. Sprinkled biscuits with grated three cheese, dried parsley and dried oregano before baking. These came out so freaking delicious. Enjoyed when they were warm. Will definitely make them again! Thank you for the recipe!
This was a cute idea. The kids ate them all at lunch time, though they prefered to dip them in pizza sauce instead of marina sauce. A couple of them said it would be better if I used my pizza dough instead of the flaky biscuits so I will try that next time. But this was easy and good.
Perfect food to snack on during the game! Easy & fast to make plus it earned a thumbs up from my 4 year old and dh. The only changes I made were to use reduced fat Grands, shredded moz (it was what I had) & turkey meatballs (frozen from Aldis). I did skimp a little on the labor- I just flattened them out & then added a 1/2 Tbs sauce, some cheese, a meatball & then folded up the biscuit around it. I sprinkled a little garlic/parm on top. Done in 12 minutes at 350 degrees in my ancient gas oven. We'll def make these again - thanks for the idea! Edited to add: We had leftovers the last time so I froze them fully cooked - just wrapped them individually in foil & tossed the in a freezer bag. Reheated them in the oven for about 10 minutes (but check on them - this was still in my old oven) & they came out just fine.