This yummy wholesome soup is great for a family supper accompanied with corn muffins or bread and leftovers re-heat beautifully the second day for a quick wholesome lunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) can chopped black olives (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 cups water (if you prefer a thicker soup use 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (for spicer soup use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (I use lower sodium version)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 summer squash, cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional garnish)
- sliced black olives, garnish (optional)
- chopped green onion, garnish (optional)
- cilantro, garnish (optional)
- sour cream, garnish (optional)
- 1Peel eggs and seperate yolks from the whites and chop each seperately and set aside.
- 2Combine yolks, rice, bread crumbs, green onion, garlic, olives, sage, cocoa, cilantro, cinnamon and meat in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or your hands to combine well.
- 3With floured hands, make meatballs using approximately 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons of the meat mixture (there will be at 4- 5 dozen meat balls).
- 4In a soup pot or dutch oven combine water, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano and chili powder over high heat and bring to a boil.
- 5Drop meatballs into boiling broth and bring back to a boil.
- 6Lower heat to medium- low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- 7Add potato cubes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- 8Add zucchini and summer squash and simmer uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- 9Add peas and corn and simmer uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
- 10Remove from heat and stir in chopped egg whites.
- 11If desired garnish individual bowls with optional garnishes (cheese, olives, green onions,cilantro and/or sour cream).
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (577 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 570.4
- Calories from Fat 185
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 203.3 mg
- Sodium 1115.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 39.2 g