Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This yummy wholesome soup is great for a family supper accompanied with corn muffins or bread and leftovers re-heat beautifully the second day for a quick wholesome lunch.
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (2 ounce) canchopped black olives (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, minced (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 4 cups water (if you prefer a thicker soup use 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, minced (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (for spicer soup use 2 tablespoons)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (I use lower sodium version)
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 1 summer squash, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese or 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional garnish)
- sliced black olives, garnish (optional)
- chopped green onion, garnish (optional)
- cilantro, garnish (optional)
- sour cream, garnish (optional)
- Peel eggs and seperate yolks from the whites and chop each seperately and set aside.
- Combine yolks, rice, bread crumbs, green onion, garlic, olives, sage, cocoa, cilantro, cinnamon and meat in a large bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon or your hands to combine well.
- With floured hands, make meatballs using approximately 1- 1 1/2 tablespoons of the meat mixture (there will be at 4- 5 dozen meat balls).
- In a soup pot or dutch oven combine water, tomato paste, chicken broth, oregano and chili powder over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Drop meatballs into boiling broth and bring back to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium- low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add potato cubes and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add zucchini and summer squash and simmer uncovered an additional 10 minutes.
- Add peas and corn and simmer uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in chopped egg whites.
- If desired garnish individual bowls with optional garnishes (cheese, olives, green onions,cilantro and/or sour cream).