Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a simple soup that is very versatile. It goes together quickly, but you can also use frozen meatballs to make it even faster. I love to empty the refer and throw all kinds of veggies in this also, so it comes out different every time. I think that it has a bit of a tomato-y flavor made as directed, so I cut back a little on the tomato paste. From Elegant Meals with Inexpensive Meats.
- 1 egg
- 59.14 ml soft breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 3.69 ml onion salt
- 1 garlic clove, mild
- 453.59 g ground beef, extra lean
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 793.78 g tomatoes
- 59.14 ml tomato paste
- 389.80 g beef broth
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 236.59 ml water
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml basil, crumbled
- 1.23 ml thyme, crumbled
- 1.23 ml oregano
- 340.19 g cheese ravioli, frozen, thawed
- 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- parmesan cheese
- Lightly beat 1 egg; mix in rest.
- Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven, brown meatballs carefully in heated oil.
- Mix in onion and garlic and cook about 5 minutes, taking care not to break up meatballs.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste, broth, wine, water, sugar, basil, thyme and oregano.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add ravioli and cook, covered, at a gentle boil for as long as specified on ravioli package (10-15 minutes), until ravioli are just tender and no longer taste starchy.
- Salt to taste; stir in parsley.
- Serve with cheese to sprinkle over the thick soup.
I did cheat and use frozen meatballs with this, but it was still delicious. It has great flavor and it was really simple to make! I will make this again. Thanks lazyme!