Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
You can make the meatballs in advance and freeze them. Noodles can also be frozen or dried. Prep time does not include cooking mung beans or resting the pasta.
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water, as needed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, minced
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 7 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup mung beans, soaked and steamed
- 1⁄4 cup chinese snow peas
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice, not instant
- Sift flours together onto a clean, dry, flat surface.
- Make a well into the top of the flour mound and add eggs and oil.
- Use a fork to beat eggs, slowly incorporating the flour.
- Add water if needed to form a smooth dough.
- Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit at least 1/2 hour (up to overnight).
- Divide dough into 6 equal pieces and flatten by hand.
- Set pasta roller to widest opening and pass each piece through.
- Reduce the opening and roll the dough again.
- Repeat with the next smallest opening.
- Cut the strips into noodles and allow to dry (for use later) or use fresh.
- Saute onion, celery and garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Place pine nuts on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes, shaking the pan after five minutes.
- In a bowl, combine onion mixture with herbs, tomatoes, turkey, pine nuts and bread crumbs.
- Form meatballs and place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- In a saucepan, combine rice and beans with 1 cup water.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender (about 1 hour).
- In a stockpot, heat stock to a boil.
- Drop in noodles.
- Add meatballs, beans, rice, and vegetables and heat through.