Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Taste of Home Healthy. One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 191 calories
Make and share this Meatball Alphabet Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked alphabet pasta
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a nonstick skillet, brown meatballs in small batches over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in oil for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; saute for 1 minute longer. Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, basil and thyme; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook for 5-6 minutes. Reduce heat; add meatballs. Simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Marvelous soup. I used previously made meatballs that I had frozen (about an inch in size) and added fresh mushrooms that I had with small shell pasta. As we like thick soups in the winter I let it simmer on min heat for a couple of hours and it's delicious :D. Made for Photo Tag.