1/2 Photos of Meat Stuffed Red Peppers (Pimientos Rellenos De Carne)
A Spanish recipe I found on "About.com". Here is what is stated: The Spanish love peppers and prepare them in many different ways. This meat stuffed pepper recipe uses ground meat as the stuffing for roasted peppers. They are breaded and fried, then accompanied by a rich-tasting onion sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 roasted red peppers (see note below)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 -3 sprigs Italian parsley
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup olive oil (for frying)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons unbleached wheat flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1If you will roast and peel the peppers yourself, do that first. (Add 20 minutes to the cooking time.).
- 2Note on Peppers: To serve as a main course, use 4 whole roasted red bell peppers, stem removed, so they may stuffed at top. (Many canned or bottled peppers are slit open lengthwise and therefore are not suitable for stuffing.) If whole roasted peppers are not available in your area, or you prefer freshly roasted peppers, roast the red bell peppers, peel and de-seed them before preparing filling. Use our simple step-by-step instructions on How to Roast Peppers over a BBQ grill, or under a broiler. If you wish to make a tapa, use 12-18 roasted small piquillo peppers.
- 3Peel the garlic and place in a mortar with the parsley sprigs. Mash together with a pestle.
- 4Place ground beef in a medium mixing bowl with garlic, parsley, milk, eggs, salt and paprika. Mix thoroughly. Stuff each of the roasted peppers, being careful not to tear the peppers. Close top with a toothpick.
- 5Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. While oil is heating, beat the remaining two eggs in a small mixing bowl. Place 1/2 cup bread crumbs in a separate small mixing bowl.
- 6When oil is hot, dip red peppers into beaten egg and carefully roll to cover all sides. Remove and carefully roll in the bread crumbs. Place in hot oil to fry for 8-10 minutes, turning as the crumbs brown. Keep pan on medium heat so as not to burn.
- 7As the peppers are cooked, remove them from the pan with a slotted spoon or spatula and set aside on a plate.
- 8Peel and chop onion. In a clean frying pan on medium heat, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil. When hot, sauté onions until they are thoroughly browned. Add flour and stir. Pour in wine and broth, mix well and cook for 5-10 minutes. Sauce should begin to thicken.
- 9Carefully place peppers into frying pan with onion sauce and reduce heat to medium low. Continue to cook 5-8 minutes. If sauce begins to stick, add a bit of water and stir.
- 10Serve on plates surrounded by onion sauce.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat Stuffed Red Peppers (Pimientos Rellenos De Carne)
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 967.7
- Calories from Fat 661
- Total Fat 73.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 266.1 mg
- Sodium 740.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 35.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted red peppers