Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I found this recipe on the back of the San Giorgio jumbo shells box. I've tried a lot of other stuffed shells recipes but I always come back to this one. My hubby loves it and asks for this as his special birthday meal every year. Enjoy!
- 1 (12 ounce) packagesan giorgio jumbo pasta shells, uncooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup flavored dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups about 28-oz . jar spaghetti sauce
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Cool in single layer on foil or wax paper.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Meanwhile, in large skillet, brown meat; drain.
- In large bowl, stir together meat, eggs, bread crumbs, mozzarella cheese (if desired), onion, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Fill each shell with about 2 tablespoons meat filling.
- Spread thin layer of sauce on bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Place filled shells in prepared baking dish; cover with remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
I found this recipe lacking in flavor. Rather than use ground pork, a seasoned sausage would have given it much more flavor. Also, when you cut into the shells, there was no color. Perhaps a little parsley in the stuffing mix would have made the dish more appealing. I would have used Parmesan in the filling rather than mozzarella, again for more flavor. Three cups of sauce didn't seem the obe quite enough for 36 shells. The shells were easy to fill. Would make it again with some changes for more flavor.