These fun sandwiches are great to make ahead and keep in the freezer for a fast meal, or to make hors d'oeuvres for an impromptu get together.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf fat long French bread
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, skin removed
- 4 ounces ground turkey or 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Cut off the ends of the bread, and carefully hollow out the center portion.
- 3In a food processor, make soft crumbs out of the bread that was removed from the middle of the loaf.
- 4Brown the sausage and ground meat in a skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add onion, and continue to cook until soft.
- 6In a bowl, combine the cooked meat and onion, the bread crumbs, grated cheese, the egg, mustard, parsley, fennel, basil, salt and pepper and pepper to taste.
- 7With a long handled wooden spoon, stuff the hollowed out French bread with the stuffing mixture.
- 8Place the ends of the bread back in place and secure with small skewers.
- 9Melt the butter and stir in the garlic, let cook over low heat for about 1 minute.
- 10Brush the loaf with the butter/garlic mixture and wrap in a piece of aluminium foil, leaving it open at the top, slightly so the top browns.
- 11Bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 12Cut into 1 inch slices for hors d'oeuvres, or into 4 larger pieces for main course servings.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat Stuffed French Loaves
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.5
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 1215.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 25.4 g