Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
These fun sandwiches are great to make ahead and keep in the freezer for a fast meal, or to make hors d'oeuvres for an impromptu get together.
- 1 loaf fat long French bread
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, skin removed
- 4 ounces ground turkey or 4 ounces ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut off the ends of the bread, and carefully hollow out the center portion.
- In a food processor, make soft crumbs out of the bread that was removed from the middle of the loaf.
- Brown the sausage and ground meat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, and continue to cook until soft.
- In a bowl, combine the cooked meat and onion, the bread crumbs, grated cheese, the egg, mustard, parsley, fennel, basil, salt and pepper and pepper to taste.
- With a long handled wooden spoon, stuff the hollowed out French bread with the stuffing mixture.
- Place the ends of the bread back in place and secure with small skewers.
- Melt the butter and stir in the garlic, let cook over low heat for about 1 minute.
- Brush the loaf with the butter/garlic mixture and wrap in a piece of aluminium foil, leaving it open at the top, slightly so the top browns.
- Bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cut into 1 inch slices for hors d'oeuvres, or into 4 larger pieces for main course servings.
I did the same thing as Kim127 (I actually made more meat, so I had to use 6 small loaves)... I froze all of them for my husband to just pull out of the freezer when ever he gets hungry. I put them in the microwave just enough to defrost, then put it in the toaster oven at 350F until golden brown. Way better than "Hot Pockets"! Thanks :)
What a great sandwich idea!! Very tasty! I left out the fennel (I thought I had some but didn't) and I used 4 french sandwich rolls instead of a loaf. They came out great! They were also easier to make than I anticipated. I will make this one again for sure! Thanks Geema!