Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple Libyan stew, full of flavor.
Make and share this Meat Stew With Barley recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 lb boneless beef stew meat or 1⁄2 lb lamb, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Then sprinkle the meat with salt & pepper. Saute both the onion & beef (or lamb) for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in the parsley & cinnamon.
- Next add in the water, tomato paste, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat & simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the barley & cook for 40-45 minutes or until the barley is tender. Stir the lemon juice & serve hot.