1/1 Photo of Meat Sauce Lasagna
1 hr 15 mins
I learned to make lasagna from my mother, and think this recipe is so much better than any other lasagna I've tried. Feel free to add green peppers to the meat sauce if that sounds good to you. The meat sauce gets more flavor as it cooks, so simmer it anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple of hours, but keep the temerature low so you don't reduce the amount by much. I also really recommend using the long rectangular slices of mozzarella cheese (approximately 3x6 inches) rather then shredded cheese, since it is so much easier to spread the meat sauce on the slices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- basil, to taste
- oregano, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 24 ounces cottage cheese, large curd
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (long rectangular slices, not small squares)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1Brown ground beef with onion in large pot. Drain grease and return to pot.
- 2Add tomato sauce & tomato paste, plus one can of water of each.
- 3Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, basil and oregano.
- 4Cook 45 minutes or more.
- 5Just before you are ready to assemble the lasagna, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles, laying them flat. Do not break. Cook in boiling water for about 10-15 minutes, then drain.
- 6While noodles are cooking, mix eggs with cottage cheese in a medium bowl.
- 7Spray 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- 8TO ASSEMBLE LASAGNA: Place layer of noodles on bottom of pan, cutting them to fit so they do not overlap.
- 9Spread 1/2 of the cottage cheese over the noodles.
- 10Place a layer of mozzarella cheese on the cottage cheese, cutting the cheese as needed to avoid overlapping.
- 11Spread 1/2 of the meat sauce on top of the cheese.
- 12Sprinkle with 2 oz Parmesan cheese.
- 13Repeat layers (noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, meat sauce and then Parmesan cheese).
- 14Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- 15NOTE: Lasagna can be assembled in advance and baked just before serving. Let sit for a few minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat Sauce Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 481.2
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 144.9 mg
- Sodium 947.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 38.6 g