Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I use a lot to give in my hubby's tiffin. Perfect with a vegetable or a raita on the side. Has a lovely flavour. Cooking time and preparation time approximate.
- 1⁄2 kg beef or 1⁄2 kg mutton, cubed into bite sized pcs. (boneless)
- 3 1⁄4 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked for 1/2 an hour
- 1⁄2 cup curds
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon raw papaya, paste (if avlbl)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 4 -5 peppercorns
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 2 -3 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 slit green chilies
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- water, as needed.
- Marinate the meat in the ginger paste, garlic paste, raw papaya paste (tenderiser), curd, salt and garam masala for atleast 2 hours.
- Fry 1/2 the onions slices in a little ghee.
- When brown add the green chillies and then the marinated meat.
- When browned put 1/2 a cup of water and cook almost done.
- Now heat the rest of the ghee and add the whole spices to it.
- Then add the onion and saute till they are golden brown.
- Add the chopped coriander and mint leaves and stir sry.
- Add the rice, washed and drained.
- Add the lime juice and stir.
- add some salt if reqd.
- Add the meat without the gravy and mix well.
- Now add a little water to the gravy and measure 5.
- 5 cups and add to the mixture of rice and meat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir once and then cover and simmer till all the rice is absorbed and you cannot see any liquids when you tilt the vessel and holes form at the surface in the rice.
- Serve hot with a raita.