Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe make small individual pies.
- 3 lbs ground beef (half round steak, half ground chuck)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cans beef gravy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt (optional)
- 1 lb lard
- 5 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- FOR THE FILLING: Melt 2 Tbsp.
- margarine in frypan and cook onion for a few minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook slowly until all fat is melted.
- Keep taking off fat, then add gravy and simmer for 10 min.
- FOR THE PASTRY: Mix lard, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Beat egg in 1 cup measuring cup, add vinegar and fill the cup up with cold water and add to dry mixture.
- Mix as you would pie dough and roll out.
- Line small foil pie tins, 4 1/2 inches across, with pastry.
- Half fill with meat mixture and cover with pastry.
- Bake 20 minutes in 400 F.
- Makes 24 pies.
- Handy to have some in the freezer.
- From Kleinburg Homes.