Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
ZWT6 Scottish & British. Containing marmite first produced in the United Kingdom. Meat pies are available from chip (french fry) shops. 5 stars on http://www.taste.com.au
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon marmite (vegemite)
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add mince. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, or until browned.
- Mix cornflour and 1 tablespoon of stock to form a paste.
- Add remaining stock, sauces and Vegemite to mince. Bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 220°C Place a baking tray into oven. Grease 4 x 8cm base measurement pie pans.
- Cut 4 x 15cm circles from shortcrust pastry. Use to line bases and sides of pans. Fill with mince.
- Brush rims with water. Cut 4 x 15cm circles from puff pastry. Place over meat. Press to seal. Trim. Brush with egg. Season.
- Place pies onto hot tray. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
I wanted to make this on the Tour, but couldn't find marmite or vegemite. Finally, I found some. This was an excellent dinner. I didn't have individual little pie shells, so I put everything in a round glass casserole. The bottom crust didn't get done. Also, I think I will cut the BBQ sauce in half next time. The marmite added a wonderful depth.
wonderful meat pies, had one for dinner and suspect i will be having a second for snack tonight! pneuma is right you can't taste the marmite (after someone mentioned it i discovered my brit neighbor had a small amount left in a jar.. peeewww lol but it let me make this). The flavors all blend so well, easy to make and love the idea of two different pastries.
I love Aussie meat pies but was a bit unsure how this will come out knowing it has vegemite in it. When I took a bite of this savory pie, it was so good and what's more, I couldn't taste the vegemite. :D Thanks, mate! Made for WZT5 Aus/NZ - Zaar Chow Hounds.