Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Got this recipe from a Family Circle cookbook. Made these meat pies tonight but was running short of time & the shortcrust pastry hadn't thawed as yet, so i just used puff pastry squares instead - by pressing them into muffin holes and filling them up with the meat mixture.
- 4 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry
- 2 small tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500 g minced beef
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- Preheat oven to 210C.
- CUt pastry into circles using a round 10 cm fluted cutter.
- Press pastry circles into large muffin tins.
- Heat oil in a heavy based pan, add onion and garlic and cook till onion is soft.
- add mince, cook over high heat for 3 mins or until well browned and all the liquid has evaporated.
- use a fork to break up any lumps, add flour and stir till combined.
- cook over medium heat 1 min.
- add stock , sauces and rosemary and stir till boiling, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 5 mins or until mixture has reduced and thickened.
- allow to cool.
- divide filling between pastry circles.
- top each with a whole slice or 2 half slices of tomato, sprinkle with oregano.
- bake for 25 mnins or until pastry is golden brown and crisp.
- serve hot.