Recipe by Lovecookin
Raised in Quebec Tourtiere was a big Christmas favourite.I created this recipe using a combination of flavours from my Aunt, and my second Mum's recipes. I usually make this recipe from memory, but had so many requests for the recipe, that I decided to write it out to share- Enjoy!!!!
Top Review by MGerry
Meat Pie was some thing that my mother would make every christmas and thanksgiving. She would make 10 pies because everyone loved it so much & wanted leftovers. Since my mother passed away I have searched for a recipe that was close to hers so i could work with it. I changed the following *Used potatoes(5) and boiled them to mash them to mix in with the beef and pork, also NUTMEG IS THE KEY, it adds sooo much more flavor. Great recipe!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1 large onion (diced fine)
- 1 stalk celery (diced fine)
- 1 large potato (small cubes)
- 4 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 dash pepper
- 24 ounces beef bouillon
- pie crust, top and bottom
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot brown ground meat-drain well-add onion, celery, potatoe, garlic, cloves, allspice, sage, pepper-mix well.
- Add bouillon-bring to boil and then simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours.
- This recipe works equally as well in a slow cooker.
- Use a potato masher to mash meat/potato mixture to desired consistancy.
- Drain off excess liquid-cool meat mixture& remove any visible cloves.
- Fill the bottom shell , cover with top crust, seal edges and score to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 425 for approximately 45 mins or until the crust is golden brown.