Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is something I recently concocted and thought it worked out very well. This makes for a great dish for your family, or hors d'ovours for party guests.
Filling for meat pies
- 2 cups ground veal
- 1 cup sliced prosciutto
- 1⁄2 cup diced potato
- 2⁄3 cup shallot
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 cup white wine
- 2⁄3 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Recipe for pastry dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (butter needs to be soft, but chilled)
- 4 -5 tablespoons cold water
- Step 1: Make filling for meat pies:.
- Sautee meat, procuitto, potatoes, shallots and garlic in olive oil over a skillet until light brown. Put in butter and pour in wine and let cook down. Once your meat is brown and the wine is cooked out salt and pepper the meat to taste and then turn off the fire and put in the basil.
- Transfer filling into a bowl and set aside.
- Step 2: Make crust:.
- Measure flour and salt into bowl. Cut in butter thoroughly. Sprinkle in water 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until all flour is moistened and dough almost cleans the side of the bowl (1 – 2 teaspoons can be added if needed).
- Step 3: Put together your ingredients:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Form dough into a ball and place on a flat lightly floured surface. Flatten and roll out dough. Cut out 5 x 3 inch oval shaped pieces of dough until there is little left. (You can cut them smaller than 5 x 3 if making hors d’ouvres).
- Place two table spoons of meat pie filling towards the bottom center on each individual pie crust. Take the top edges and fold them over the meat and use a fork to pinch the edges together. Be sure to completely seal the pie shell all the way around the loose edges. In the center of each pie poke it with a knife twice.
- Brush olive oil on each pie and place them on a well oiled baking sheet.
- Place in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown.