Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my Mother who was a stickler about "Waste Not, Want not", and it is now a family favorite around my house. I try not to make it too often because I would have half the town over for dinner!! When I tell my grandkids we're having pie for supper they squeal and ask what's for dessert Grandma? Peas?!! -))
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 -5 cups cubed leftover chicken (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover roast beef (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover hamburger (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover ham (or any meat you choose)
- 4 cups mixed vegetables
- mushroom (optional)
- cheese (grated or sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (optional)
- pastry dough (triple recipe)
- In 2 quart saucepan bring to boil the broth/stock with onions and garlic.
- Add 1/4 cup margarine to make a much richer broth.
- Add cubed meat and vegetables to boiling broth; reduce heat to low.
- Thicken pie mixture with a cornstarch and water mixture.
- Pour into an oblong 13 x 12 inch baking pan lined with half of the pastry.
- Sprinkle scredded cheese or layer cheese slices over top of pie mixture.
- Top with remaining pastry dough.
- Flute edges of pan; make criss cross slits in pastry with a knife; brush with margarine.
- Bake in moderate oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
I'll definitely be making this recipe again, my husband absolutely loves it. Personally I think it too needs "something" else in it, a vegetable of sorts, but my husband asked me not to ruin such a good thing by doing that. Can you tell he loves just mean and starches?
This is recipie answered my question. Do you use beef or chicken broth? I am making a pot pie from let over pot roast and vegetables.