Elizabeth Anderson's Note:
This recipe came from my Mother who was a stickler about "Waste Not, Want not", and it is now a family favorite around my house. I try not to make it too often because I would have half the town over for dinner!! When I tell my grandkids we're having pie for supper they squeal and ask what's for dessert Grandma? Peas?!! -))
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups beef stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 3 -5 cups cubed leftover chicken (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover roast beef (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover hamburger (or any meat you choose) or 3 -5 cups cubed leftover ham (or any meat you choose)
- 4 cups mixed vegetables
- mushroom (optional)
- cheese (grated or sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (optional)
- pastry dough (triple recipe)
- 1In 2 quart saucepan bring to boil the broth/stock with onions and garlic.
- 2Add 1/4 cup margarine to make a much richer broth.
- 3Add cubed meat and vegetables to boiling broth; reduce heat to low.
- 4Thicken pie mixture with a cornstarch and water mixture.
- 5Pour into an oblong 13 x 12 inch baking pan lined with half of the pastry.
- 6Sprinkle scredded cheese or layer cheese slices over top of pie mixture.
- 7Top with remaining pastry dough.
- 8Flute edges of pan; make criss cross slits in pastry with a knife; brush with margarine.
- 9Bake in moderate oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (197 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 90.8
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 2.4 mg
- Sodium 277.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: