Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from the Time-Life Family Favorites collection. I have modified it to suit my tastes. The walnuts and basil really make this dish. You can use any frozen veggie combo in this as long as they are small veggies - I use peas and corn.
- 1⁄3 cup instant rice (white or brown)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- In a small saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Add frozen veggies and cook for 1 minutes or so to soften. (This is also the stage where you would cook onions and garlic if you would like to add them!).
- Remove veggies to a large bowl. Stir in rice, oats, walnuts, cheese, flour, basil, salt and pepper into vegetable mixture. Add the egg and stir until starchy, about 1 minute. (Make sure to beat the egg BEFORE adding to the other ingredients. Otherwise your patties won't bind as well.).
- Using a 1/3 cup dry measure, scoop and form mixture into 8 patties.
- In the same large skillet you cooked the veggies, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Cook patties in oil until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and continue cooking until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve however you like - I suggest inside of pita bread.
Really liked this-similar texture to garden burger. I added onion and garlic. I also added more basil (little oregano) and garlic powder for more flavor. Great recipe! I had left overs and froze and cooked-turned out fine! Thanks!