Recipe by Jodee Patterson
While in Weight Watcher's, I combined several recipes and came up with this one... simply because I wanted a non-fat and mostly a thick, meaty sauce with everything in it but the kitchen sink :)... This is not a runny, thin sauce, but rather a very THICK, spicy and delicious Italian-like sauce! Sometimes I use it to make nacho's (not a Weight Watcher's dish) with shredded cheese and sour cream on corn chips for my hubby!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs very lean ground chuck or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs sirloin beef
- 2 cups sliced onions (julienne or diced, I use Vidalia)
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushroom pieces or 1 (8 ounce) packageof sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth (or water with 2 beef bouillon cubes)
- 2 cloves of minced garlic or 2 tablespoons instant minced garlic
- 1 cup of sliced green pepper (julienne style or diced)
- 1⁄2 cup of sliced yellow sweet pepper (julienne or diced)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (light is what I use)
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- spaghetti noodles (amount for what you want at serving)
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Using non-stick pan, fry beef until well done.
- I cook them so that there are fairly large "chunks" of beef (smaller than meatballs).
- Rinse beef under hot tap water in colander and place aside.
- In 6-8 quart stock pan, saute onions, bell peppers, shallots& mushrooms in beef stock until soft and clear.
- Add remaining spices to stock pan, cooking over medium heat.
- Bring to boil and then immediately add beef.
- Add tomatoes and other tomato items to stock pan.
- Bring to a boil and then immediately turn heat to Low.
- Simmer for 30- 45 minutes.
- Prepare spaghetti noodles according to pkg directions.
- Serve immediately.
- Optional: Serve with grated fresh Parmesan Cheese.