1 hr 5 mins
Using purchased pasta sauce reduces the cooking time, this is even better the next day, you may adjust the fresh garlic and chili flakes to suit taste ---if you like even more garlic then saute 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic in with the onion mixture :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (use mild or spicy)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh small white button mushrooms (if your mushrooms are large slice in half)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (25 ounce) jars classico roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1In a Dutch oven cook the ground beef and sausage meat until no longer pink; drain fat and remove to a bowl.
- 2In the same Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 3Add in onion, bell pepper, small whole mushrooms, chili flakes and dried basil; cook stirring for about 7-10 minutes or until well softened.
- 4Add the beef mixture back to the pot then add in the pasta sauce; bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring.
- 5Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, seasoning with salt and black pepper about halfway through simmering.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat Lover's Chunky Mushroom Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.0
- Calories from Fat 474
- Total Fat 52.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.4 mg
- Sodium 2321.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 46.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce