Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Using purchased pasta sauce reduces the cooking time, this is even better the next day, you may adjust the fresh garlic and chili flakes to suit taste ---if you like even more garlic then saute 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic in with the onion mixture :)
Top Review by Jeffsmom
I should have taken your advice about adding fresh garlic to the mix - it just felt like something was missing. I did like how thick it came out. My son dosen't like mushrooms, so next time, I think I'll saute them alone and chop in food processor. Thanks, Kitten.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (use mild or spicy)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh small white button mushrooms (if your mushrooms are large slice in half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (25 ounce) jarsclassico roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven cook the ground beef and sausage meat until no longer pink; drain fat and remove to a bowl.
- In the same Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, small whole mushrooms, chili flakes and dried basil; cook stirring for about 7-10 minutes or until well softened.
- Add the beef mixture back to the pot then add in the pasta sauce; bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, seasoning with salt and black pepper about halfway through simmering.