Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Using purchased pasta sauce reduces the cooking time, this is even better the next day, you may adjust the fresh garlic and chili flakes to suit taste ---if you like even more garlic then saute 2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic in with the onion mixture :)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed (use mild or spicy)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) packagefresh small white button mushrooms (if your mushrooms are large slice in half)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (25 ounce) jarsclassico roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- In a Dutch oven cook the ground beef and sausage meat until no longer pink; drain fat and remove to a bowl.
- In the same Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, bell pepper, small whole mushrooms, chili flakes and dried basil; cook stirring for about 7-10 minutes or until well softened.
- Add the beef mixture back to the pot then add in the pasta sauce; bring to a simmer over medium heat stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 30-35 minutes, seasoning with salt and black pepper about halfway through simmering.
I should have taken your advice about adding fresh garlic to the mix - it just felt like something was missing. I did like how thick it came out. My son dosen't like mushrooms, so next time, I think I'll saute them alone and chop in food processor. Thanks, Kitten.
I used 1 jar of vegetarian bolognese sauce (reduced-fat) and 1 jar of tomato and basil sauce (reduced-fat). I omitted the sausages and oil to reduce the fat. It's great for a spaghetti sauce with store-bough jars. Thanks Kit. Made for 123 hit wonders
Wonderful sauce. I cut the amound of sausage in half and sauteed my mushrooms and I used Prego for the sauce. Would make this again in a heartbeat and my kids gave it both thumbs up. We left the pepper flakes to be added by those who wanted them...I can't help it if I have woosiez in the house, lol...Thanks Kitten for a wonderful sauce.(((Auntie Jan)))