Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Similar to the Potato Puff Casserole my mom makes, but this is made with homemade mashed potatoes and has a tomato soup base. From a friend (she made it for us after I came home with child #3). So comforting!
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In large skillet, saute onions in a little oil.
- Add ground beef and salt and pepper to taste and brown the beef.
- Add drained beans and tomato soup.
- Pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- While beef is browning, boil and mash the potatoes with milk, egg, salt & pepper.
- Make small piles on top of meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
It's a nice one-dish meal; similar to shephard's/cottage pie. Very good, but just needed an extra flavor boost. I added worcestershire and garlic to the meat mixture, and some butter and sour cream to the potato mixture. Since 5 "medium" potatoes is kind of subjective, I had lots......so my "small piles" of mashed potatoes basically covered the top.....but not a problem for us potato lovers! ;) I'll make this nice winter meal again. Thanx for sharing!