Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delightful way to enjoy Oriental food right in your own home. Have a pot luck party at your house, featuring Oriental foods. My mother used to do this, and even had everyone cook their particular dishes in her kitchen. Get everybody involved! The more the merrier! Recipe adapted from Great American cookbook. Feel free to add other items such as minced bamboo shoots, minced water chestnuts, finely shredded carrots, finely chopped bean sprouts, or finely shredded napa cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, and tops
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- vegetable oil, for skillet
- Prepare Oriental pancakes (recipe follows).
- Combine cornstarch, soy sauce, and sherry in large bowl. Add beef, pork, green onions, ginger and garlic; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Spread 1/2 cup of meat mixture evenly over each pancake, leaving about a 1/2-inch border on 1 side.
- Starting with opposite side, roll up pancake jelly-roll fashion.
- Place rolls, seam side down, in single layer, on heatproof plate; place plate on steamer rack.
- Set rack in large pot or (wok) of boiling water.
- Cover and steam 15 minutes. (For best results, steam all rolls at the same time).
- Just before serving, cut rolls diagonally into quarters.
- Arrange on serving platter and serve hot.
- Serving sizes are for appetizers.
- Time does not include time for making pancakes. Times do include steaming time.
- For Oriental Pancakes:.
- Beat eggs in large bowl with wire whisk.
- Combine water, cornstarch, soy sauce and sugar; pour into eggs and beat well.
- Heat an 8-inch omelet or crepe pan over medium heat.
- Brush bottom of pan with 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil; reduce heat to low.
- Beat egg mixture; pour 1/4 cupful into skillet, lifting and tipping pan from side to side to form a thin, round pancake.
- Cook from 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or til firm.
- Carefully lift with spatula and transfer to a sheet of waxed paper.
- Continue procedure, adding 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil to pan for each pancake.
- Makes 6 pancakes.
- Times are approximate for pancakes.