Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
Pastelillos de Carne A traditional dish all over Central and South America. Flaky little meat pastries, either fried or baked. Can also be made with cheese, vegetables or fruit. This one is baked. Instructions for pella are separate #139997.
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons finely rendered beef fat, chilled (pella)
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sazon goya, with coriander and annatto
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- For pastry:.
- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut shortening into the flour mixture. Mix egg and water well. Add liquid mixture to flour and mix well using a fork.
- For filling:.
- In a skillet, heat oil on medium.
- Stir in beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Heat oven to 400. Move oven rack to top third of oven.
- Roll the dough thinly (1/8"). Using a cookie cutter, makes as many rounds as possible. Add about a tablespoon of filling in the middle of each round, fold in half. Secure edges by pressing with a fork.
- Brush each half-round with the egg and water which have been beaten well.
- Place on a baking sheet well apart.
- Bake 25 minutes or until glolden and hollow-sounding when tapped.
- Cool on wire rack.