Recipe by CJAY
Posted for ZWT7- Africa. Found on alleasyrecipes.com. This is a traditional Zimbabwean recipe.
- 2 lbs cooked lamb or 2 lbs mutton
- 1 thick slice bread
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 8 almonds, finely chopped
- 1 handful raisins (or sultanas)
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Mince the meat finely. Soak the bread in the milk, beat the lumps out with a fork and drain off any surplus milk.
- Fry the onions and apple in the butter; add the curry powder, sugar, a little salt, almonds, raisins and 1 well- beaten egg, them the meat.
- Mix well, stirring over the heat for a few minutes, then put into a well-buttered dish.
- Beat the second egg;add the rest of the milk strained off the bread, which should not be less than a quarter of a pint.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and pour over the mixture, then bake gently in a 350* oven until the custard is set.
- The same mixture put into an open short crust flan and served cold, makes an excellent picnic dish.