Recipe by Girl from India
This recipe comes from the Indian state of Uttaranchal. A good curry for weekday cooking. Watched this today on a cookery show and tried it immediately as I had all the ingredients.
Top Review by Canadian_in_the_Bay
This curry is pretty good- the flavour is nice and mild. I used tri tip steak and served it with Naan to soak up the sauce. My only complaint is that I found it a little too watery. Next time I will cut the amount of water I add in half.
- 600 g meat, cut into pieces for curry
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Grind to a paste the garlic, cumin, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric and salt.
- Heat the oil in a vessel.
- Add the onions and saute till golden brown.
- Add the ground paste and saute till the raw smell goes (around 2 mins) Add the tomatoes and cook till they are totally incorporated into the mixture.
- Add the meat pcs.
- Mix well and then add the water.
- Put a heavy lid on the vessel and cook for half an hour.
- (In the program they sealed the vessel to the cover with prepared dough and cooked for 1/2 an hour till the dough dried out- this is dum cooking) I just cooked it normally.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with wedges of lime.