Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Much the same flavor as stuffed cabbage rolls, but much easier to prepare.
- 1 lb lean ground meat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 3 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) jarherb-style spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In medium skillet, saute onion in butter until soft, but not brown.
- Add ground meat.Cook, breaking up the meat until meat loses its pink color.
- In a 2-quart buttered casserole or baking dish, layer the carrots and half the cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add meat mixture, press down slightly.
- Add remaining cabbage.
- To spaghetti sauce, add worcestershire sauce and chives.
- Pour sauce over top of casserole.
- Cover. Bake at 350 for about 1 hour or until cabbage is soft and meat is cooked through.
- Add cheese on top. Bake, uncovered, for another 5 to 8 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
My sister & I cooked this together with Onion & Mushroom roasted potatoes. I must have gotten it confused with another recipe as I thought some of the reviews had suggested using diced tomatoes as the consistancy was a little dry - boy that was wrong - but let me tell you it was great any how. The flavors were wonderful. Yum Yum!!!
I used diced chicken because that was all I had. Great healthy recipe added extra spices like basil, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Turned out wonderful.
Very tasty. I made a small adjustment by cooking my ground beef and onion together thereby eliminating the need for extra oil and/or butter. I layered it just as the suggested but into my crockpot instead of casserole dish. cooked on low for about 4 hours and added the grated cheese the last 10 minutes. DH loved it. Next time I think I will mix in maybe half cup of cooked rice with the meat to give it closer texture to real cabbage rolls. I know this one is a real keeper.