Recipe by Bungy
Very simple to prepare stock-type soup. This is what almost everyone's mum had on the back of the stove in winter. It comes from my favourite cookbook "Cookery the Australian Way", 5th edition. Add any favourite or leftover veg, or a can of tomatoes, or anything you like.
- 500 g lamb necks or 500 g lamb shanks (can mix meats) or 500 g beef bones (can mix meats) or 500 g chicken bones (can mix meats) or 500 g chicken pieces (can mix meats)
- 12 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1⁄2 carrot
- 1 onion
- 1 small potato
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak meat and bones in water with salt and pepper for approx 30 minutes.
- Bring pot slowly to the boil.
- Rinse pearl barley and add when soup is boiling.
- Simmer one hour.
- Prepare and dice vegetables to 1cm (1/2 inch) dice.
- Add to soup and simmer 15 minutes before serving.
- Remove fat and bones, add meat back to pot.
- Adjust flavour if necessary, stir in parsley.