Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adapted this from a recipe I found in a "Budget Meals" book. Hearty and delicious, and one of the cheapest meat meals I make. Uses up any vegetables you have in the fridge - I rarely make it exactly as written. Freezes well. I usually halve this recipe so I can fit it into my casserole dish.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 kg minced beef
- 2 carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1 large green capsicum, seeds and membrane removed and diced
- 1 -2 zucchini, diced
- 1 (400 g) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (400 g) can baked beans
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
- 1 (400 g) can sweetcorn
- 1 1⁄2 kg potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large, deep frying pan, heat oil over moderate heat.
- Add onions and garlic and fry until golden brown (8-10 minutes).
- Add meat and fry, stirring frequently, until well browned (about 10 minutes).
- Add carrots, capsicum, zucchini, tomatoes, raisins salt and pepper, reduce heat and simmer 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, cook and mash potatoes with milk.
- Add beans and corn to meat mixture and simmer, uncovered, for a further 2 minutes.
- Tip meat and veg into a large baking dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Dot with butter and bake 30-40 mins or until golden brown on top.
This recipe has a great flavor and it will feed a large family. We have enough leftovers for the whole weekend. It also has alot of ingredients, it is a recipe that could be adjusted to add or subtract different veggies. I did find it a tad greasy. Will try again and change a few ingredients to better suit my taste.
DELICIOUS!!! What a great one dish meal and comfort food at its best! I adjusted ingredients to use 1.25 lbs. beef, used mushrooms and peas instead of beans. Added some garlic to my mashed potatoes-made them really creamy which produced a wonderful sauce for the whole dish. Baked at 350F for 30 min and it came out perfect. Will freeze leftovers. Thank you, Bungy, for a great recipe!!! Made for Fall PAC 2008.