Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is much spicier than the regular Iraqi version. You may tone down the spices if desired. Enjoy!
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 3 medium carrots or 3 medium potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch thick round slices
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/2 inch thick round slices
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb beef
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut into 1/2 inch thick round slices
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the eggplant lengthwise. Then slice it into half rounds about an inch thick.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoons salt and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry the eggplant slices on medium flame for 6 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add more oil if need be. Drain on paper towels once you remove the slices.
- Now, in the same oil, lightly fry the carrots and onions on medium flame for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- In a bowl, combine the meat, half the garlic, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons pepper, 1/2 teaspoons cumin and cayenne.
- Form into small balls.
- Fry on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Drain on clean paper towels.
- Combine in a bowl the water, remaining salt, garlic, pepper and cumin.
- Stir well and keep aside.
- Arrange slices of eggplant on the bottom of a casserole.
- Place carrot rounds on top of it followed by slices of tomatoes.
- Spread meatballs evenly between the tomato slices.
- Pour the water mixture on top.
- Cover and bake in a 350F preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Serve hot from the casserole.