Recipe by Mysterygirl
This is one of those budget stretcher recipes from when my daughter was young. Still tastes great.
Top Review by Cindy Lynn
This was so easy and delicious! Both DH and my youngest 'picky eater' even enjoyed it...WOW... I substituted ground venizen for the ground beef (not uncommon in our household) and shredded cheddar/mozarella blend for the American cheese slices--just a matter of preference and availability. For the mashed potatoes, I boiled some white potatoes, then mashed as usual and spread them on top. The recipe didn't specify instant mashed potatoes and I prefer not to use them for meals anyway. I do something very similar to leftover meatloaf as none of us really cares for meatloaf warmed over, although DH does like meatloaf sandwiches. We will definitely be having this often!!! Thank you for sharing one of those simple pleasures in life Mysterygirl!!!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 5 slices American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown beef and onions in skillet; drain.
- Mix in tomato sauce, garlic and oregano.
- Place in a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Top with corn.
- Then spread mashed potatoes over the corn.
- Lay cheese over the mashed potatoes in a single layer.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.