1/1 Photo of Meat and Nut Loaf
1 hr 12 mins
bluemoon downunder's Note:
A recipe that is an invitation to play! One glance at these ingredients immediately suggests a loaf with a distinctly "vegetarian" slant, but interestingly (for an otherwise "vegetarian" recipe), this recipe also contains meat. The recipe specifies "steak", but obviously you could make it with any ground or minced meat. You can also vary the ratio between the meat and the nuts, vary the chopped vegetable you include and experiment with different nuts, depending on your preferences. Except for listing “minced steak” as “minced meat”, and having to replace the reference to "vegetable salt" with an ingredient which conformed to Recipezaar's recognised ingredients (I decided herb-seasoned salt was most compatible with the spirit of the other ingredients), I've posted this recipe with the ingredients and directions exactly as I found them in Dorothy Hall's 'The Natural Health Cookbook'. Take up the invitation – and enjoy playing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 750 g minced meat
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup soymilk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup nuts, chopped, preferably walnuts
- 1 teaspoon herb-seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- black pepper, to taste
- 1Mix steak, tomato, 1 onion, 1 cup breadcrumbs, stock or soy milk and beaten eggs.
- 2Mix thoroughly.
- 3Place meat mixture on bottom of a greased loaf dish.
- 4Mix together remaining ingredients and place on top of meat mixture.
- 5Cover with remaining meat mixture.
- 6Bake in moderate oven for 1 - 1½ hours.
- 7Cool for five minutes before removing from the dish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat and Nut Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.4
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.1 g
- Cholesterol 120.2 mg
- Sodium 290.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 28.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat breadcrumbs