Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Assumption Greek Orthodox Church cookbook. This can be served hot as a dinner dish, or room temperature as an appetizer.
- 6 large leeks, washed and chopped (white parts only)
- 1 lb unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb lamb stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces (or beef)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (or water)
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb phyllo dough, thawed
- Put 4 tablespoons of the melted butter in frying pan over medium heat and add leeks and meat. Brown thoroughly. Add wine and salt and simmer 20 minutes, or until liguid has evaporated. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Stir in beaten eggs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Working with half of the phyllo sheets (cover the rest), lay one sheet at a time in baking dish and brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining half (at least 10 sheets).
- Spread meat and leek mixture evenly over the sheets in baking dish. Fold ends and sides of excess phyllo over mixture.
- Repeat as above with remaining phyllo sheets (at least 10) and tuck in ends and sides. Brush top with butter.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.