Pesto lover's Note:
From Sunset. I think I would add some shredded carrot to this and either potato cubes or rutabaga cubes. Preparation time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 ounce dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 6 1/2 cups flour, unsifted
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1In large skillet, crumble meat. Stir over med-high heat until meat begins to brown. Push meat to one side of pan and drain fat.
- 2Add chopped onions and garlic to the meat. Continue cooking until onion is limp, but not browned.
- 3Add cabbage, 1/2 cup water, beef buillon cube, oregano and cumin. Stir.
- 4Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender and juices have cooked away, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of the warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
- 6In large bowl of electric mixer, combine remaining water with salt, sugar, shortening and eggs. Add yeast and two copy of the flour. Beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes, scraping sides of bowl several times.
- 7Cover bowl and set in a warm place until mixture is bubbly, about 30-40 minutes. Put bowl back on heavy mixer and add 4 more cups flour, one cup at a time. Or you can do this by hand. Knead until soft and resillient, but not sticky, about 5 minutes, adding remaining flour as needed.
- 8Place in greased bowl, turn over, cover and set in warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1 1/2 hours Punch down dough and cut in half. Put one half back in the bowl and cover.
- 9Roll the other half of the dough on a lightly floured board into a 12x24 inch rectangle. Cut into 8 pieces, each 4 inches square. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 10Place about 1/3 cup of the filling on each square. Bring opposite corners of each square to meet in center. Or, you can make it a triangle and pinch 1/4 inch of edges, with water if necessary, to seal. Press with tines of a fork to get a good seal.
- 11With spatula, transfer each to a greased baking sheet, placing about 1 inch apart. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place about 20 minutes.
- 12Unwrap and bake in a 375F oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- 13Melt tops with melted butter and then let cool slightly before serving. Can be served at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meat and Cabbage Pasties
Serving Size: 1 (3288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.4
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.8 mg
- Sodium 443.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 16.8 g