Top Review by Mark Kovach
This tasted great, just like Grandma's stuffed cabbage (and how I loved that). I only had about a third of a cabbage left from making coleslaw so instead of wrapping the meat/rice I rolled it into balls, cut the cabbage into chunks, and put both in the sauce. It worked out just as well and I didn't have to roll up all those leaves (tedious). Otherwise I used the exact ingredients. Thanks for this, I'll be making it often.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1 cup tomato soup
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- salt & pepper
- 6 leaves cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the hamburger well with salt and pepper and add the egg. Mix well.
- Mix in rice.
- To make sauce, melt the butter and add the tomato soup and an equal amount of water and add to onion.
- Add the parsley, celery, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Wash the cabbage leaves and boil until tender.
- Put 2 tbsp of meat mixture in each leaf and roll tightly.
- Secure each roll with a toothpick.
- Place in a saucepan and pour sauce over rolls.
- Cover pan tightly and cook slowly for 3 hours.
- Serve very hot.