1/16 Photos of Mean's Lamb You Can Eat With a Spoon
6 hrs 40 mins
This is one of the most succulent lamb dishes you will ever taste. Long slow cooking makes the dish. This is an adopted recipe from the RecipeZaar account, and I am delighted to be the new owner of such a winning recipe. The size of your leg of lamb is everything in this recipe so please use the Zaar measurement converter ( bottom of the page) to calculate your cooking time as if will vary greatly if you have a very small or very large leg of lamb. (For example 2.8 kg leg = 6.1 lb and would cook for just over 6 hours after the browning stage) If you like this sort of meat, then I'd also recommend my recipe "New Zealand High Country Sheep Station Roast Lamb #186000" because it gives a similar result with fewer steps... (admittedly without the excellent gravy though) Since my home country that my DH jokingly calls Kiwistaan has an excellent reputation for Lamb, I will be assigning this one to ZWT REGION: New Zealand.
My Private Note
whole l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut most of the fat from the lamb.
- 2Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in the pot and brown lamb slowly on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- 4Or you can brown in the oven in a roasting pan on high heat.
- 5preheat oven to 325°.
- 6Remove browned lamb& set aside.
- 7Sauté onion, shallots and garlic ( with pancetta, if used) until caramelized–about 20 minutes.
- 8Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 9Discard fat in pan.
- 10Add wine and 2 cups stock and boil rapidly until reduced by half, scraping up any browned bits.
- 11Add herbs,tomato paste and reserved vegetables to pan.
- 12Return lamb, fat side up, to the pot.
- 13If needed, pour in enough additional stock to reach two-thirds of the way up sides of meat.
- 14Cover tightly and bake until done, basting often to keep the lamb from becoming dry.
- 15As the meat cooks and is constantly basted, the rich sauce is absorbed and the meat becomes very succulent.
- 16The dish is done when the lamb falls off the bone in pieces when prodded with a fork – this takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound (lb) (metric = 1 hour per 450 g).
- 17(after browning).
- 18Plan on seven hours total for an entire leg of lamb. ( example calculation is based on a 2.8 kg / 6.1 lb leg).
- 19Remove the lamb to a platter.
- 20Cover with heavy foil to keep warm.
- 21Pour off all the liquid into a saucepan, skim the fat and boil down about 20 minutes, until it is rich and thick.
- 22Correct the seasoning and serve as a sauce over the lamb and vegetables.
- 23SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with Potato & Root Vegetable Mash or Roasted Vegetables.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mean's Lamb You Can Eat With a Spoon
Serving Size: 1 (2224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1242.8
- Calories from Fat 269
- Total Fat 29.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4144.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
leg of lamb