Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 can kidney bean (or 3 cans of 1 kind)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- crushed red pepper flakes
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, combine carrots, onion, and 1/2 cup water.
- Stir often until liquid evaporates and vegetables begin to brown and stick in pan, about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (break up with a spoon) and their liquid, beans and their liquid, and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, to blend flavors, about 15 minutes.
- Ladle chili into wide bowls; add sour cream and crushed chilies to taste.
This was a great chili... my boyfriend really enjoyed it. I used garbonzo (chickpeas) instead of pinto and also used an orange bell pepper instead of the carrots. This made an excellent, very easy dinner with rice. This receipe makes enough to serve at least 6 adults. Will definately make this again and again.